Citronella Oil is one of the most essential oils collected from stems as well as leaves of several species of Cymbopogon, known as Lemongrass. This essential oil is widely used as a source of perfumery chemical applications like genraniol, citronellol and citrolellal. The chemical is widely been using in soap, candles and incense, different perfumery products or cosmetic and several flavoring industries across the globe. It is a plant-based essential oil, is an insect based repellent, this oil is registered for the purpose of using in US since 1948. The US Environmental Protection Agency considers that citronella essential oil is a biopesticide which rich in non-toxic compound.
Top 17 Health Benefits of Citronella Essential Oil
1.Antibacterial Components Methyl helps to kill bacteria and impede other bacterial growth in the human body. This is specifically beneficial to treat infections in wounds, and colon, urethra and urinary bladder, stomach, intestinal disorder, also helps to treat urinary tracts, prostate as well as kidney related issues.
2. Antidepressant Substance in this oil helps to combat depression, anxiety etc. and ease the sadness, negative feelings. This oil is very good to induce fresh and happy feelings in mind.
3. Antiseptic properties of the plant oil combat infections in wounds and the urinary tracts, prostate, urethra and kidney related problems. And at the same time protect them from being sepsis.
4. Antispasmodic compound in this essential oil helps in relieving spasms of the muscles, good for respiratory and nervous system. It is also very much useful for cramps and coughs.
5. Anti-inflammatory substance in this plant oil calms inflammation, especially those circumstances which concern to the stomach, liver, intestines and another parts our digestive system.
6. Deodorant compounds consist in this essential oil crisp, rich citrus or kind of lemon aroma drives away human body odor which is widely using in deodorant industries for making body sprays and deodorants. It is useful for adding with water for bathing purpose.
7. Diaphoretic compounds in this essential oil grows sweating and helps to promote the removal of toxins and other unnecessary materials such as excess water, salt, fat form the body. You will feel lighter; your skins will feel healthy and helps to decrease fever.
8. Diuretic substance helps dispose of waste materials and toxins from the body such as uric acid, excess bile, salts and acidic substances from the body. This essential oil helps to improve digestion and eliminate infections from urinary system.
9. Stomachic substance of this oil helps to clear the infections from stomach and other issues and helps to function properly.
10. Stimulant compound in this aromatic essential oil is good in stimulating blood circulation, secretions and also good in discharging such as hormones, enzymes from glands, brain and increase the activity of nervous system. 
11. Insect Repellent – Citronella oil is perhaps most famed for its insect repellent properties. It can be used in isolation or combined with other essential oils (such as lemongrass oil) to create an even more potent insect repellent blend.
To keep insects away from your home light a candle, allow to burn for a few minutes so a pool of melted wax forms, and then add one or two drops of citronella oil. Alternatively add a drop or two to ribbon and hang by open windows or add a few drops to a cotton ball and place on window sills.
If you are moving around and want to be protected then add a few drops of citronella oil and mix with distilled water in a spray bottle and spray in the surrounding area. Alternatively, mix citronella oil with a carrier oil (such as olive or jojoba oil) and rub into the skin.
12. Skin Care – Citronella oil is effective for reducing oily skin and its anti-bacterial properties help it to fight bacteria that can cause acne. Adding just one drop to water and rinsing the face with the mix is one way to take advantage of this oil. A highly effective acne treatment involves mixing witch hazel and citronella at a one drop per ounce of witch hazel ratio and applying to the face. The astringent properties of the mixture will dry, harden and protect your skin.
13. Fever – Citronella oil has been used historically to eliminate the cause while also bringing down high fevers. A few drops diffused around the room provides a calming scent which also induces a fresh happy feeling and hope.
Additionally, mix two drops of the oil with a carrier oil and massage onto the stomach, arms and legs.
14. Deodorant – The lemony citrus aroma of citronella oil make it a wonderful smelling deodorant. Plus, the anti-bacterial properties help to kill potentially foul smelling bacteria. Mix a few drops of citronella oil with coconut oil for an effective, cheap and all-natural deodorant.
Alternatively, add a few drops to your evening bath for an odor killing soak.
15. Toxin Removal
Citronella oil has diaphoretic and diuretic properties which promotes toxin removal, weight loss and the disposal of waste substances. The diaphoretic properties stimulate sweating which expels toxins, excess water, fat and salts from the body and the diuretic properties increase the frequency and quantity of urination clears out toxins, waste substances and drains out infections in the urinary system.
16. Digestive Issues
Citronella oil has been identified as an effective natural treatment for worms. It should be administered in very mild doses to children and helps to eliminate round worms and tape worms which can hinder physical and mental growth.
Citronella oil also tones up digestion, excretion and fortifies the body.
17. Nuisance Dog Barking
According to research published in the Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association a spritz of citronella spray from an anti-barking collar was more effective and reported as more humane when it comes to preventing nuisance dog barking than an electric shock collar.
The veterinarians speculated that “given the dog’s sense of smell, it could be that a strange odor may be less tolerated than a presumably painful stimulus“.