If you have been touched by depression or anxiety then you know how much of an impact it can have on your quality of life. If you haven’t, consider yourself lucky. Depression is extremely common and the leading cause of disability worldwide. It’s estimated that 350 million people of all ages suffer from depression globally. (source)
Everyone suffers from situational depression or “feeling down” sometimes. With the stresses and pressure of modern life, it’s no surprise that when we are struggling to cope, many of us look for an alternative solution such as essential oils. Read on to learn more about top 4 essential oils for depression and how to use essential oils for anxiety and depression.
Top 4 Essential Oils for Depression
Bergamot oil is a great antidepressant because it’s very stimulating. Bergamot can create a feeling of joy, freshness and energy by improving the circulation of your blood. It’s also shown the ability to work as a natural remedy for anxiety, as a 2011 study in Thailand found that bergamot lowered the anxiety response in rats. (1)
Lavender oil benefits mood and has long been used to help battle depression. A study published by the International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice reported that 80-milligram capsules of lavender essential oil can help alleviate anxiety and depression. The study also showed that there were no adverse side effects from using lavender oil to treat anxiety and depression. This is great news since we know that synthetic medications and psychotropic drugs often have many negative side effects. (2)
3. Roman Chamomile
Chamomile benefits your emotions by providing soothing qualities to help with depression. According to research from Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine and Pharmacognosy Review, inhaling chamomile vapors using chamomile oil is often recommended as a natural remedy for anxiety and general depression. (3, 4)
4. Ylang Ylang
Ylang ylang may have a funny name, but it has amazing benefits for helping stave off depression and negative emotions associated with depression. Inhaling ylang ylang can have immediate, positive effects on your mood and act like a mild, remedy for depression. Research shows it can help release negative emotions such as anger, low self-esteem and even jealousy! (5)
How to Use Essential Oils for Anxiety and Depression
- To relieve stress at night and improve your sleep, put a diffuser beside your bed.
- You can inhale the essential oil vapour directly by putting a drop on the palms of your hands, rubbing them together and then cupping them over your nose and inhaling.
- Another idea is an essential oil necklace so that you can use it on the go.
- Massage using essential oils blended with a carrier oil such as almond, coconut or grapeseed oil is one of the most relaxing aromatherapy methods. You should use 1 drop of essential oil for each tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Another very relaxing option is to add 5 to 10 drops of essential oil to your bath tub. Not only will the vapour have a calming influence but the bath itself makes you take time out of a busy day to heal yourself.